Thursday, January 31, 2008

Ebay vs Etsy...is it really even a competition?

I've been seeing lately where Ebay has lowered their fees and that potentially a slew of Etsians are going to selling over at Ebay. I, myself am not sure what exactly sure what I want to do. I know Ebay is lowering their fees, but the duration of Ebay's listing period maxes out at 10 days where as Etsy let's you list an item for maximum of 4 months. Listing on Ebay will definitely get a seller more views and recognition, but you gamble with the idea of your listing expiring before you sell in a shorter time frame. Etsy has spurts from what I've come to realize, where sales peak. Over a 4 month period you could potentially sell a good bit depending on these spurts. On Etsy there's a lot of promoting and self advertising to do, on Ebay not as much.

Which one do you prefer or has had the most success on?

4 comments:

Regina said...

Cute!

TallGiraffe said...

While ebay is lowering their listing fees, they are now charging upwards of 8% of your final sale price now. That doesn't really sound much cheaper to me, save a quarter to list and then loose way more of your end bid price. I won't ever go back to selling my handmade items on ebay. You have great cards, I definitely think that etsy is the better place for you. Your cards are great!

Tennsley said...

I see you point totally tallgiraffe. Thanx so much for the compliment on my cards.

Unknown said...

I think you need to consider the realiability and ease of use of ebay compared to Etsy too. I've only been using Etsy for a few months but the number of problems and bugs I have encountered have me seriously considering going back to ebay. I guess you get what you pay for.